Friday, August 6, 2010

Now It's Biko

Here's one of those recipes my lola taught me when I was still young. It's one of the delicacies being handed by our family from generation to generation. It normal to find this fare on the table during fiestas, birthdays, reunions, weddings, etc. and even on times wherein we should be fasting :-)

Olaer Resort, where I grew up under the care of my grandmother, used to be filled with fruit bearing coconut trees. Cooking with gata was not a problem then. You just have to do a little strolling under those coconut trees and presto, one, two or more coco fruits await you there. Armed with our old "kaguran", making gata for biko comes over easy.

For every kilo of malagkit, we use three pieces coconuts and 1/2 o 3/4 kilo muscovado sugar. We used to cook this using wooden fire. Cooking time usually lasts for 2 to three hours. This is often served as snack or dessert.

How about you, what's your biko made of?

No comments:

Post a Comment